Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why Poland, you ask...

Before Poland, or even the thought process of going to Poland came my way I don't think I had any preconceived notions about the country. Now that I'm here I find myself constantly answering the question of why did I choose Poland, or as some my students have asked, did Poland choose me? On a surface level I can honestly say I chose Poland. When I initially heard about the program through WordTeach, the country's  mystique instantly garnered my attention. I wanted to be able to formulate my own authentic answer as to why indeed did I CHOOSE Poland. I was fortunate enough to be placed in my 4 schools close to another WorldTeach volunteer, and we've come to the consensus that when in Poland you never know what you're going to get. As the great Forest Gump once said, "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna' get." Well despite Poland having many chocolate options, let alone dessert varieties, one rarely knows what is to come their way while in Poland. From accordions at teacher staff dinners, to competitive games of table tennis, and even the revelation that someone's dad makes their own beer or Vodka, it never ceases to amaze me how pleasantly blindsided you can become (in a good way though). For my 1st host family, I was blessed to be placed in a home that had an innate desire to make me feel like part of their family as soon as I set foot in their home. I was humbled by my host mom's ability to genuinely make an effort to speak to me in English, and admired her patience with me as I pestered her about how to pronounce various street signs I'd see along our drive. It came to a point where she or I would gesture to something in broken English or Polish, and we could nod in agreement, acknowledging that we understood the gist of the message. It didn't always occur this way (For example, I try to avoid translating American hip-hop lyrics for all the right reasons as you might assume lol) Aside from the great food and people, I try to avoid condensing or limiting my rationale as to why I chose/like Poland for those two mere things I mentioned. Poland is so multi-faceted. There's a deep sense of community present-on a much larger scale though. The Poles I've met have willingly opened their homes to me in a number of ways. There's an unwavering notion that social bonds and relationships, in general, are golden amongst the people of Poland. Although this many social gatherings aren't to often the norm for me back home , I can appreciate it. I've come to see that despite the hardships Poles have encountered, they are adamant about holding on to their values and keeping their history alive, because despite these things having a collective impact it also molds their identity as Polish individuals. I may never come to predict my daily encounters in Poland, but I know that regardless of where I happen to find myself I can count on being humbled by the hospitality of the Poles, and continue to maintain a sincere appreciation for the many experiences Poles have endured and the things they are relentless in pursuing (such as my 1st host dad being relentless in trying to get me to try some of his "Jerry Daniels" Vodka that he made- he claims it to be Poland's version of Jack Daniels :-) ) So why Poland, you ask...why not, is all I have in response ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment